Monday, April 22, 2013

What I Know

As a woman who has had three children in five years, I've learned a lot.  I have all the answers.  No, I'm totally kidding.  There is a lot of stuff I do not know, such as why I can cook almost anything except for fried eggs, why nap times are never when you need them to be (it's like they don't even care that you would like to go somewhere), or why boys of all ages have really terrible aim (yuck!).  However, I have had a lot of experiences that I feel give me a bit of wisdom that I can pass on.  I have a lot of friends with babies right now, so I thought I'd pass on what little bit of knowledge I have to you. 

First of all, you are going to get bombarded with stuff that you "have to have" for your baby that you and your baby don't really need at all.  For example, wipes warmers.  Would you like your booty wiped with a warm wipe?  Sure, but guess what, you don't need it.  My firstborn had this luxury, and it was wonderful....until you were out in public somewhere and he screamed like you were a monster when you wiped him with a cool wipe.  Oh the horror...somebody call social services, I can't believe she just wiped him with a non-warmed wipe.  Yeah, it broke a few weeks after that, and by broke I mean, started smelling like it was burning and this momma didn't want my house to be burnt down so my baby's booty could be warm.

There are a few things that you really should get too, and although everybody has a different opinion, I'm just going to give you mine (the most important one on this blog).  I'm totally kidding...please don't think I'm a jerk...keep reading...please.  I'm just going to tell you about a few things that have made my life as a mom to a baby easier...and then I'm going to post another post tomorrow that talks about the real stuff, so come back then, but still pass this on to the new mommies you know!

Ok, here we go.  My dear friend, Kathy, gave me the book The Happiest Baby On The Block when I was pregnant with Brennon.  I read it, and listened to the main points, but the deal was that Brennon was probably the easiest baby in the world, so it didn't really matter.  Then came the next one, and Gavin was, well, not the easiest baby in the world.  This book became my lifesaver, and by the time boy #3 came along, the book's main points had become second nature to me.  Seriously so helpful.

Invest in some good teethers.  They make your life so much easier.  The best one ever is hard to find in stores, but you can get it on Amazon, and it's called The Wimmer.  I seriously bought an extra one when I was afraid I lost it once.  It's so easy to clean too, so woo hoo!  The other teether you need is Sophie the Giraffe.  I know you're thinking, $20 for a teether, what a rip!  (Or at least I was!)  But really, it is so great and all my boys love it as a toy beyond the teether.  Also, the hubs calls it their dog toy, because it squeaks, so maybe don't take that one to church.

The not most fun, but necessary item you need to know about is called Calmoseptine.  It's a diaper cream (and used for a whole slew of other things mentioned on the package that are too gross to talk about here).  Now, you don't need this if your baby's bottom gets a little red, but if you have a serious diaper rash you're dealing with, it is the only thing that will clear it up on even the most sensitive skin in no time.  Most pharmacies keep it behind the counter, so don't spend forever looking for it, just ask.  It's like that little gem you've never heard of, but once you use it, you can't believe people aren't shouting it from the rooftops. 

Finally, once your baby is sitting up and starting to crawl, you're going to want one awesome toy that you'll totally get your money's worth on, and the best one ever is this house.  My boys have all loved it, and still do.  Even my oldest will play with it with his baby brother, Fletcher.  The other great thing about it is that it doesn't waste batteries.  As much as this thing is played with, the batteries last forever.  (Oh, and go ahead and buy stock in AA batteries now, trust me, in the future, you'll be happy you did!) 

Ok, I know this didn't pertain to everyone, but I remember what it was like to be a new mommy and be overwhelmed by everything available for babies.  If I helped even one of you, I did my job.  Now, go kiss your babies and don't feel bad about rocking them, it's not time wasted.  You will never, ever regret taking the time to do it.  And remember these two things, 1.  You are doing a good job.  You are tired and hormonal and maybe losing your hair, but you are doing a great job!  and 2.  You are the expert on your baby.   Hope I helped, and remember to come back tomorrow and get a good talking to!

No comments:

Post a Comment