Monday, November 14, 2011

The Biggest Decision....

It started like any ordinary day.  I didn't know as I woke up and made some "egg-in-the-holes" and cinnamon rolls that my heart would soon melt into a lump of goo in only a way that one of my sons could do.  Our conversation started because I was looking at my cousin, Kristi's. new pictures on facebook.  These were pictures that any mom would be proud of, as they were showing her son and daughter being baptized yesterday.  Brennon wanted to know what they were doing, because from his point of view, it looked like they were just swimming.  So, we started talking about why his cousins, Liv and Ty, chose to be baptized.  The conversation was so simple, and I felt like truly it was God giving me the words to speak to him, as it really is hard to put all your own beliefs combined with a college level theological "worldview" into four-year-old terms.  In the midst of our tender conversation over quesadillas, I told my Brennon that he could ask Jesus to live in his heart.  Since our conversation had sparked out of an interest in baptism, he looked completely conflicted as he said with complete honesty, "Do I have to be dunked in water?"  He makes me laugh so much! 

I explained to him the difference in salvation and baptism, and after our lunch we sat together in the living room and I led him in a prayer that gave him a clear understanding of what it meant and knowing that it was an important decision.  I was so, so happy that I got to experience this with him, and that I was able to lead him in this way.  Brennon was so excited that he then called my mom and told her his "good news".  He was so happy to hear how excited Gramma was that he then asked to call his Poppie and Gigi and Mimi and Papa.  He told them, and he was a little more proud each time.  I thought that I had cried all I could by the time he told my mom the story, but each time he recounted it, I cried even more.  I am so happy that my tender-hearted little guy took this seriously and understood that this decision meant more than just repeating words.  I have to admit that I was proud of myself too.  Every mom has a list of things that they want to be in their child's eyes, and godly is at the top of mine.  I fall short of that more than I care to admit, but that is a whole new lesson that I get to teach my little boy, because God's grace is what will allow me to be a godly mom.  Even more so, this grace will allow me to experience more and more events such as this, the truly important ones, the ones that are completely life-shaping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment