Sunday, November 27, 2011

A New Thanksgiving

     This year, we decided to do Thanksgiving in our own home, and it was completely different than any other holiday we've ever had, but it was so very nice and I loved every minute of it.  I missed seeing my family, but we were able to have a great afternoon with Mimi, Papa, Gigi, and Poppi. 

     In true type-A fashion, I was able to not stress at all, because I had already made a document with all my recipes I would use in the order I would use them, a to-do list with times, and a schedule of when everything had to be cooked.  I know that may seem a little crazy to some people, but it makes my life so much easier!  So, on Wednesday, we made pumpkin pie (which I forgot to take a picture of, but I can assure you was scrumptious nonetheless)....
and cranberry sauce....
    and sweet potatoes.....

And then on Thanksgiving, while we half-heartedly watched the Macy's parade,

We made stuffing...
 and green bean casserole...
             and creamy corn...
and rolls, and I heated up the turkey.  I didn't have to fully cook it since  I decided that I didn't want to chance my first Thanskgiving as host being a disaster with a failed attempt at turkey.  So, I let Honey Baked Ham do the job, and it was delicious!

      Since Brennon has learned how to write so well already, he wanted to write placecards or "nametags" for everyone.  Although I helped him spell, he wrote them completely on his own.  He also asked me to help him figure out how to spell a message on the fridge with magnets.  My sweet boy!  I pray he keeps his tender heart and always wants to do special things for the people he loves.
                             
         After stuffing ourselves silly and then going back for seconds, we talked and talked, Brennon tried to teach Pop to play Wii Lego Batman, and enjoyed relaxing in our own home with family, coffee, and entertainment courtesy of two very rambunctious little fellas. 
          I was so thankful for a perfect Thanksgiving and for being able to host my in-laws and grandparent in-laws.  A lot has changed in the last few years for our family.  We've gone through a lot, sometimes more than it seems we could handle.  Maybe because of all this, it was even more special to be together on this day where we remember all the blessings that God has brought into our lives.  It was a new kind of Thanksgiving, a new kind of normal, but it made me even more thankful that we are able create new traditions and enjoy them just as much as anything else we've done in the past.  It gives me hope for more than just this day, but for every day in our new normal world.

No comments:

Post a Comment